LIFE, LIBERTY, AND OUR BRILLIANT PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

Thursday, July 8, 2010

OK, I tried...

I really don't know how people enjoy blogging. I'm not smart enough for all this HTML lingo. And I didn't think the majority of the human race was either. So I've decided that someone is holding out on me. There has to be an easier way to change fonts and colors and layouts and stuff. The best website I've been able to find is http://www.kevinandamanda.com/. (Thanks Sara!) She is super helpful. But as you can see, I only was able to change the font for individual blog posts and the date. What is this thing over here on the right called? Has the followers and blogs I follow...I want to change that font, too. AND the one for my blasted main heading. I keep googling stuff about headings in blogger, but they all say to just design something and save it to photoshop (need...mac...) and then they walk you through step by step from there as to how to upload it. Which seems helpful enough. Does anyone have a website that will actually help with the design piece??

Enough ranting and raving. I'm in London. Sigh.

The weather has been aaaaamazing. Yesterday and today started off very cloudy, but not a drop of rain has fallen since we've been here, which is rather unusual. Here's the view from the roof the other night. Yup, dinner on the roof. Again. We're working dilligently on the plants. They don't know how to survive in this heat! Unfortunately, I'm afraid my "green thumb" might not be very much help.

We were here 2 weeks (they wouldn't let us in the country any sooner!) before Jason had to start work this past week. I feel like I've told everyone this, but my mindset now that I know I'm living here is completely different than when I've vacationed here. I'm not in a hurry to see a bunch of stuff, take tours, etc. I have other things I have to tend to: bank accounts, cell phones, grocery store, cleaning, laundry, watering the plants, etc. BUT, don't get me wrong, we have taken in some of the sights...

We took a tour of Parliament last week. It is open on Saturdays during the summer for tours. We saw the Queen's Robing room, House of Commons, House of Lords. You can see where we get a fair amount of our American lawmaking processes. Many similarities. This picture of it was taken while we were on the London Eye. Another first for us. I might recommend it if you have nothing better to do, or if the visability is very clear. We did it once. Won't do it again...the scenery doesn't change...! Here's a few more pics from our 30 minute "flight" around the eye...

Can you see St. Paul's Cathedral there on the right? With the accents these folks have, it comes out sounding like "sen poles" rather than "saint pauls." But they all say it that way. I love it. I'm so terribly sorry that I don't know the names of all the buildings along the Thames (pronounced "timms"). I've only been here 2 weeks, give me some more time.




Buckingham Palace right there in the middle...the Queen is in the window waving to you, I promise! She has ever so kindly extended me an invitation to see the inside of the palace this summer........her gracious royal highness. Me and everyone else in the world. Seriously, she goes to her home in Scotland for 2 months over the summer and they open the rooms for tourists. I wish I was that special.



Jason's new work home. Not the PWC office, but one of his main clients. So yeah, he gets to look out on the river and the London Eye all day long. Not a bad view, I'd say.








This is the little pod you ride in while "in flight." It's actually a pretty neat little engineering idea...the pods are never upside down, there are wheels that go all the way around it at the same rate the Eye is turning. And of course, clear on all sides so you can see the awesome views of London.

See, nothing but a big, fancy, overpriced Ferris Wheel...

...but we wish you were here!

5 comments:

  1. I love the new blog! I totally picked the same background as you without realizing it, so I'll go change mine :)
    The lingo is awful on blogger, but you'll get used to it. Just play around with different things and ask me or Jana with any questions you have. So glad you are having a great time!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blog is really coming together--the fun part of picture sharing and story telling can now begin and the details of fonts, colors, sidebars, and headings can fall in place as you go forward. Before long, you'll be teaching me lots of your new tricks!

    See you next week,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  3. You'll get the hang of it. Just remember, some cool looking blogs have taken people years to adjust. And other people with cool blogs PAY people to make them look cool. So anything you can do yourself I am impressed with. But yes, you need your Mac, and photoshop. Then you can really have some fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ok, here's my advice sweet friend. Don't worry about all the techy stuff! Your blog already looks fabulous and what's more important, it is fun to read because it is from you. I love the way you write. Also love the pictures. The important thing about blogging is staying in touch and having fun! If you need a good book to read, may I suggest THE LONDON EYE MYSTERY by Siobhan Dowd. It is a children's book, but I think you will enjoy it because of your new home. You might have to get Debi to find it for you at the library in Houston and bring it over when she comes. Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW!!! Can't wait to read more!
    Bekki

    ReplyDelete