LIFE, LIBERTY, AND OUR BRILLIANT PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Catch up

Let me start out with an apology. I'm sorry I have left you hanging for over a week. There.

We have had such a busy busy busy week, it's nuts. Here's what all has gone on:

1. Celebrated our 2nd anniversary with a cruise down the River Thames...and eating. I'll post pictures at some point. J and I have about 30 pictures of us in front of Big Ben...from just about every angle we can get. Guess what will be on our Christmas card....

2. My in-laws returned to this side of the planet. I had an acquaintance remark to me that I have hit the "in-law jackpot." I concur. 100%. So when we are all home together, I find myself out "street running" with my MIL. Tragic, isn't it?

3. I had an interview for a job...I got the job...I started the job! For those of you not on FB, see if you can figure it out: ant+throw+apology-a=???

4. I met a girl from NYC who is writing a book. How often do you meet people who are real live authors and just sit down to coffee with them? Am I the only one?

5. I ATE MEXICAN FOOD!!!! I have to admit, I miss my Lupe Tortilla once a week. I said it. Of course, I'll never be able to find anything to take its place. But, there is an alternative here in the city: Cantina Laredo. Cantina Larrrrrredo! We went this time with a group from the AWC and had a marvelous time. American women at a Mexican restaurant? We were there 3 hours. For England, this place es pretty goood.

6. Visited the charming town of Hampstead. Technically part of London, but a good 30 minute tube ride from where we live. And it is probably the closest "country" I have found in the city. If that makes any sense at all. We went on a walk with the AWC and it was cloudy, a bit drizzly...typical London weather. But even then we got a good view of the city of London. I hope to go back when the weather is more clear...that's a challenge in and of itself.

7. Visited a castle! Went to Arundel Castle on Saturday, the 4 of us. I'm sure Debi will be posting about it soon on her blog...(no pressure Debi!)...but until then, just pop over and see what else she has written about. Arundel is actually still used by the Duke of Norfolk and his family, so it is a real live working home that they open to the public for more than half of the year. If you have seen the movie The Young Victoria, they use Arundel Castle as Windsor Castle...so the King's birthday scene is there as well as a few others. Check out their website. Beautiful, quaint, English country town. Loved it.

8-10. WE GOT OUR STUFF!!! We've been here a whole month now, but our stuff JUST got here yesterday. So guess what I'm typing on!?!?!?! MAC'S BACK! Yay! So we spent the day yesterday unpacking and organizing. I think we'll stay awhile :)

And all along the way I've met all kinds of fun women of alllllll ages and backgrounds..."ex-pat wives" I guess you could call them, right Mike? We're all in this together! And we're all making the most of it...and loving every minute of it!!!

8 comments:

  1. Love your blog, can't wait to keep reading!! Carla

    ReplyDelete
  2. As you can imagine, the British and American people here in our neck of the woods ADORE Cristen, since she has charmed them all with her delightful personality. She's a real trooper--on the go all the time, and tackling the woes of London ( laundry, no cars, new culture) with a smile. She's making friends every place she goes.

    It's fun having another running buddy,
    Debi, aka MIL

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. #2 Completely agree! Thank you for keeping us posted!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm enjoying your journey so much! Continue to have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So great to see/hear the update! Cool stuff, that is for sure. I want to hear your adventures with the fancy-smancy laundry machine...when will that happen? How long is the tutorial for it?
    B

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love reading of your adventures--big and small. Write on!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like the AMC is a very active group. No moss growing under their feet! Glad MAC is back...the simple pleasures in life are wonderful. Now that your 'stuff' has arrived, how can I get ALL that packing paper??!! ;)

    ReplyDelete