LIFE, LIBERTY, AND OUR BRILLIANT PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Traditions new and old

Do you see this?
(Notice what time the sun sets around here)
It's November for Pete's sake!

As my dear sister-in-law-in-law pointed out in her witty blog, it is 80F in Houston today (are we surprised?). I know it technically isn't "holiday weather" per say, BUT, that is what my body, my hair, and my skin are used to. None of this dry, cold nonsense. Can a girl ever catch a break???

Speaking of cold, did I mention that the forecast includes snow this weekend? YOU KNOW, the fluffy white stuff that falls from the sky? You make men and balls out of it....wait a second...

***

It's official. I miss my family right about now. Especially around the holidays. Thanksgiving always involves my wonderful cousins from Dallas and now their hubbies, too. This was us LAST year...minus two...
...well, strike that. Minus four. Since this photo has been taken, my brother (that red-headed smarty pants on the left) went and got himself engaged (I love you Megan!). And my cousin (the really blonde one) went and decided to have a kid! A kid! Now I ask you, are we old enough to be doing that???
(I'll answer for you. No way Jose.)

I digress. Thanksgiving. Family. We eat wayyyyyyy too much. And play loads of cards. And watch football (not soccer). Sound familiar?? Anyway, it's amazing good fun. I'm sad I'm missing out on that tradition.

My next favorite tradition around the holidays has come to be known as "Elf Night." All the girls on my hubby's side of the family get together to make gingerbread houses and watch the ever classy, very traditional Christmas movie, Elf. Anyway, we always have a messy, catastrophically, hilariously, seriously funny good time (Allison is a master gingerbread house maker, don't let her tell you otherwise).
But, since I'm not around this year to be with my girls (tear, sniff), I've recruited some of my girls here to join me in the British rendition of said event...Elf Night: London. Photos will be posted soon. Until then....

...what are some of your favorite holiday traditions?????

5 comments:

  1. I had a hard time getting used to the bright sunshine after coming back today. How long has it been there, since we've had a really sunny day? We will sure be missing you this Thanksgiving. Enjoy your dinner with the Harding gang!

    Love,
    Debi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, the seasons of life. I, too, missed my family today. There's just something about holidays and family, isn't there? Hope your Thanksgiving (although different) was very special. Happy Turkey Day, Cristen and Jason.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tim and I spent another Thanksgiving away from family. (sigh) Although, with Tim's many hours in the kitchen we pulled off a pretty stinkin' good meal and even invited another lonely couple to our home.
    My favorite holiday tradition is going out to cut down our Christmas Tree the day after Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's Elf night without Cristen?! I hope your London fun was a nice warm-up for our holiday construction... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sorry sweety...believe me I know the holidays stink without your family around! This year my family will be in "Arkansaw"...yay!! So we'll have our tradition of making tamales and ponche (our version of holiday cider) :) Super excited! Enjoy a real winter in London while you can though...you'll miss it some days when you get back to TX. Love you and miss you! Happy Holidays!! :)

    ReplyDelete